A Luxury Gran Turismo Coupé
The last model produced during the De Tomaso / Ghia / Ford collaboration
The Longchamp debuted at the Turin Motor Show in 1972 and was the final product of the De Tomaso / Ghia / Ford collaboration. The was the first 2+2 gran Turismo luxury sports coupe and it was Alejandro's reply to his European competitors.
The Longchamp was produced on slightly shortened Deauville chassis and its styling came from Tom Tjaarda. At this time, Tjaarda had already provided designs for the Pantera and Deauville and the styling of this particular car was actually inspired by the Ghia Marica.
Similar to the Deauville, over the lifespan there were two variants of the Longchamp produced; a series 1 and series 2. The production of series 1 commenced in 1973 and was only offered with a three-speed Ford automatic transmission (there were approximately 17 cars made that featured a ZF 5-speed manual transmission). The Longchamp not only shared virtually the same chassis as the Deauville, but also its steering, suspension, and braking systems.
In 1980 at the Turin Motor show, De Tomaso presented a new variant of the Longchamp, the GTSE. The GTSE was in essence, a Longchamp that featured the signature Pantera GT5 campagnolo wheels, flared wheel arches and the suspension was slightly revised. There was also a convertible 'Spyder' concept at the show, produced by coach-builder Carrozerria Pavesi from Milan.
Over the course of its production run there were approximately 410 Longchamps produced. The breakdown was 394 coupes and 16 convertibles.
•Designed by Tom Tjaarda
•Estimated 409 produced
•2 door coupe and convertible
•Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout
•5.8-litre Ford Cleveland V8 engine
•Transmission: F5-speed manual and 3-speed automatic
- Type: 5.8-litre Ford Cleveland V8 engine
- Layout: Front-engined, longitudinally mounted
- Aspiration:Naturally Aspirated
- Power Output: 296 bhp @ 6,000 rpm
- Power Ratio: 51 bhp / litre
- Weight: 1,700 kg (3,740 lb)
- Length / Width / Height: 4,530 mm (178.35 in) / 1,954 mm (76.93 in) / 1,295 mm (50.9 in)
- Wheelbase: 2,600 mm (102.36 in)
- Tyres: (fr/r) 215/70 R15 | 225/50 R15 / 285/50 R15 (GTS)
- Body:Full all-steel monocoque unit
- Suspension:Fully independent suspension on all four wheels, with anti-roll bars and double coil springs and dampers at the rear
- Steering: Rack-and-pinion
- Gearbox: Ford C6 3-speed automatic / 5 speed ZF Manual
- Brakes: Ventilated discs, all-round
- Drive: Rear-wheel drive
- Power to weight: 0.17 bhp / kg
- Top Speed: 240 km/h (149 mph)