A Luxury Quattroporte
A luxury sedan designed by Tom Tjaarda
The Deauville debuted at the Turin Motor Show in 1970. Designed by Tom Tjaarda, the same designer as the Pantera. This luxury quattroporte helped De Tomaso expand into a new market.
In the late sixties Alejandro began to notice the success of some of his European competitors in the luxury sedan segment. This led him in 1969 to begin designing his own luxury sports quattroporte.
The Deauville debuted at the Turin Motor Show in 1970 and was designed by Tom Tjaarda, the same designer as the Pantera. This luxury "quattroporte" featured a 5.8 litre Ford Cleveland V8 engine, a steel monocoque chassis, fully independent suspension and power-assisted four-wheel disc brakes.
Over its lifespan, there were two generations of the Deauville produced, the series 1 and 2. Only minor differences separated the two which consisted of: the engine being moved a few centimeters backwards to improve the weight balance, a new steering system and minor design differences such as air inlets added to both sides of the car.
The production run totaled approximately 244 units which on a volume basis makes it the second-rarest production DeTomaso. The Deauville was never imported into the U.S. and in 1984 a one-off estate-edition was proceeded for Alejandro's wife, Isabelle.
•Designed by Tom Tjaarda
•Estimated 244 produced
•First De Tomaso, 4 door Quattroporte
•Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout
•5.8-litre Ford Cleveland V8 engine
•Transmission: Ford C6 3-speed automatic
- Type: 5.8-litre Ford Cleveland V8 engine
- Layout: Front-engined, longitudinally mounted
- Aspiration:Naturally Aspirated
- Power Output: 296 bhp @ 6,000 rpm / Redline: 316 bhp
- Power Ratio: 51 bhp / litre
- Weight: 1,940 kg (4,277 lb)
- Length / Width / Height: 4,851 mm (191.0 in) / 1,880 mm (74.0 in) / 1,372 mm (54.0 in)
- Wheelbase: 2,770 mm (109.1 in)
- Tyres: (fr/r) 215/70 R15; 215/70 R15
- Body:Full all-steel monocoque unit
- Suspension:Fully independent suspension on all four wheels, with anti-roll bars and double coil springs and dampers at the rear
- Steering: Rack-and-pinion
- Gearbox: Ford C6 3-speed automatic / 5 speed ZF Manual
- Brakes: Ventilated discs, all-round
- Drive: Rear-wheel drive
- Power to weight: 0.15 bhp / kg
- Top Speed: 230 km/h (143 mph